Meghan Markle and Prince Harry make headlines everywhere they go these days, but on Thursday, March 5, the couple took a backseat to a proposal at the Endeavour Fund Awards. The evening event, which marked the couple’s first official joint outing since returning to the UK, honored veterans and servicemen and women who have achieved extraordinary milestones in their recovery from injuries stemming from sporting and adventure challenges.
After hopping onstage to accept the Recognizing Achievement Award, veteran Danny Holland decided it was the perfect moment to pop the question before the gathered audience—including Meghan and Harry in the front row—culminating in a swoon-worthy moment all caught on camera. Holland sweetly called up his “missus” Lauren Price to the stage and dropped to one knee, causing the entire room to explode in applause and cheers.
Meghan and Harry were photographed smiling widely at the special moment, with Meghan placing both hands on Harry’s knees during the proposal, and then clasping her hands to her chest in obvious excitement for the newly engaged couple. Harry, for his part, applauded loudly and grinned ear-to-ear.
“They congratulated us,” Price told the PA news agency after the ceremony, explaining that she and Holland were invited to have a private chat with Meghan and Harry afterward. “They asked us how we felt and if I was expecting it. They said they were really happy for us.”
Added Holland, “With winning [the award] as well, there was no better time to do it. Although she always said she didn’t want it with a lot of other people around.”
According to People, Holland was nominated for the award by Mission Motorsport; he has been struggling with mental health issues following an IED blast during his deployment in Afghanistan, but is currently working toward instructor qualifications that would allow him to help others through rehabilitation.
Meghan and Harry still have a handful of final royal engagements to attend to this month before officially stepping down from their royal roles on March 31.
A spokesperson confirmed in late February that the couple will no longer use the term “royal” going forward, preferring to emphasize their work to establish a new non-profit.
“While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word ‘Royal,’ it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation, when it is announced this Spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation,” a statement from a royal spokesperson read. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘SussexRoyal’ in any territory post Spring 2020.”
The pair made headlines earlier this year when they announced that they would no longer be using their titles of His and Her Royal Highnesses.
“Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family,” the Queen’s announcement read. “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.”
“I [recognize] the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life,” she added. “I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family. It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.”