Didn’t see that one coming! The next Bachelor, Nick Viall, stopped by Good Morning America on Thursday, September 8, to discuss his upcoming stint as the season 21 lead following last week’s shocking announcement. While long-time fans of the franchise were shocked at the news, nobody was more surprised than the Bachelor himself.
The two-time Bachelorette runner-up, 35, told Michael Strahan and Amy Robach in NYC that he was initially hesitant about taking on the role when he was approached.
“At first I was like, ‘Really? C’mon,’” he recalled. “They asked me and I was very nervous. It took me a couple days. I told them I had to think about it.”
The clock, however, was ticking. “I didn’t have a lot of time to think about it, because they didn’t ask me too long ago,” Viall added. “It’s a huge responsibility but obviously an amazing opportunity. Ultimately, I accepted.”
This time around, Viall will have dozens of women vying for his affection — unlike his two consecutive stints on The Bachelorette. Despite the odds being in his favor, Viall noted: ”There’s also no guarantees, right? I think everyone knows that you get to be the bachelor and you get to meet 25 at least amazing women, but you just never know if you’re going to connect with them. Maybe you really like someone who doesn’t feel the same way back. You never know.”
Viall edged out one of JoJo Fletcher’s suitors, Luke Pell, for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity because producers felt the title rightfully belonged to him. Longtime Bachelor host Chris Harrison told GMA last Wednesday, August 31, that many key questions were asked in the process, including: “Who’s the most deserving?” and “Who’s the most sincere?”
Harrison continued, “While Luke and Chase [McNary] were good guys, we kept coming back to Nick — and it was just crazy enough to work.”
Viall, who returned to the franchise for the latest season of Bachelor in Paradise, ultimately turned down a future with his co-star Jen Saviano.