Get ready for the spotlight! Pippa Middleton is officially off the market — but fans of the royal family want to know more details about her new fiance, James Matthews. Here, The Knot lists 10 key things to know about Pippa’s future husband.
1. He’s very successful in business. The 40-year old financier is highly successful in the business world. He’s the CEO of Eden Rock Capital Management, an investment advisory firm named after his family’s resort, the Eden Rock hotel, in St. Barts.
And it seems Matthews had an excellent role model to help him reach his millionaire status. His father was a mechanic who proved his own success in the automobile industry in the UK.
2. His business savvy has paid off. Matthews has become accustomed to living a luxurious lifestyle. He owns a townhouse in Chelsea, London, estimated at $25 million.
The businessman shares the opulent home with his fiance and their two dogs. According to ABC News, the couple not only have a separate staff living quarters and elevator; they also have a home movie theater and gym.
3. He’s a former race car driver. Before paving his way on the investment firm scene, Matthews enjoyed burning rubber. He won multiple awards for his racing career before deciding to slow down.
He was the British Formula Renault UK series champion back in 1994. He later went on to win the Eurocup Formula Renault championship title later that year. Following his wins, Autosport magazine named Matthews the British Club Driver of the Year.
4. He’s incredibly athletic. Along with proving his speed on the racetrack, Middleton’s fiance is quite the athlete! Not only is he an accomplished tennis player… He’s also fast on his feet, in the water, and on skis!
Back in 2008, Matthews took part in the Marathon Des Sables – a race which has been dubbed “The Toughest Footrace on Earth.” During a six-day period, runners take on 156 miles of sand dunes, rocky terrain, and temperatures exceeding 120 degrees through the Sahara.
Just last year, Matthews joined Middleton, 32, for a 50-mile swim and running endurance event in Sweden. Only a few months later, they challenged themselves to 30+ miles at the Birkebeiner cross-country ski race in Norway.
5. He’s experienced great loss. Back in 1999, the unthinkable happened. Matthews’ younger brother, Michael, passed away on Mt. Everest as he was attempting to become the youngest Brit to climb the mountain. His body was never recovered, according to ABC News.
6. Giving leads to healing. After the tragic loss of his brother, Matthews’ family founded the Michael Matthews Foundation – an organization which helps provide an education to children who reside in remote places.
According to the foundation’s website, “about 1200 children are now being educated within schools funded by the Michael Matthews foundation.” To help raise awareness, the soon-to-be groom uses his athletic abilities to compete in sporting and endurance events.
7. He has famous connections. Sure, he’s now associated with British royalty, but Matthews is no stranger to the limelight. His younger brother, Spencer, costarred in the hit British reality show, Made in Chelsea, as one of the longest-serving cast members on the series.
Matthews’ 27-year old sibling also had a short stint on I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here – a reality game show series in the UK. He left abruptly, later admitting that he “screwed up” and had been using steroids.
8. He attended the same school as Prince William and Prince Harry. The millionaire has plenty in common with his royal future brothers-in-law. He attended Eton college – an English boys’ independent boarding school located near Windsor, England.
It’s little wonder why the financier has gained such notable success. Eton has educated some of England’s finest, including British prime ministers. Tuition is up to £11,478 per term (about $15,000).
9. He dated Pippa previously. Matthews and his famous fiance were engaged on Sunday, July 17. They had been together since the latter part of 2015 before announcing their engagement.
But their short-term romance wasn’t the first time this high-profile duo had dated. They were together back in 2012, but went their separate ways after a short time. Middleton then began dating Nico Jackson – another British financier. The couple called it quits in October 2015, and soon Middleton was back together with Matthews.
10. He’s a romantic. He may be a millionaire businessman who can run for days throughout the Sahara, but Matthews is a romantic at heart, and his sweet proposal proved it.
The future groom took his famous girlfriend to England’s beautiful Lake District to pop the all-important question. The Daily Mail reported that Middleton was “completely and totally surprised.” The publication also stated that Matthews had asked Middleton’s father for permission before asking her to be his bride.