Ryan Phillippe will be kicking off 2016 as an engaged man! The Secrets and Lies actor, 41, asked girlfriend, Paulina Slagter, to marry him over the long holiday weekend, according to Page Six.
Phillippe and Slagter, 24, began dating over four years ago and have been spotted spending time together cheering on the actor’s kids at sporting events. Phillippe has two children Ava, 16, and Deacon, 12, with ex-wife Reese Witherspoon and daughter Kai, four, with ex-girlfriend Alexis Knapp.
In an interview with Howard Stern earlier this year, Phillippe said he was “not opposed” to getting married again and had nothing but praise for his law-student girlfriend Slagter. “When people see her they have these judgments because she could be a model but she’s about to graduate Stanford Law,” Phillippe shared with Stern. “Also what’s great about it — as you get older certain issues become more important to you. I’m very involved in civil rights issues, and so to be with a woman who could actually make an impact in the legal realm — that’s a beautiful thing.”
And law school isn’t the only awe-inspiring accomplishment on Slagter’s resume. Here are five fun facts about the future Mrs. Phillippe:
1. She Modeled: According to Bustle, Slagter worked as a model in her teenage years. She’s certainly pretty, but you have to appreciate that a woman with so much beauty can match it with her intelligence.
2. She’s Well-Rounded: In addition to her work as a law clerk and research assistant, the bride-to-be also spent time working as an editorial intern for a “publishing company for under represented and marginalized authors such as political prisoners and exiled journalists,” according to her LinkedIn profile. If her work history is anything to go by, we foresee Slagter being a very dedicated and passionate wife to her Hollywood star future husband.
3. You May Have Seen Her on TV: As if modeling and practicing law aren’t impressive enough, the soon-to-be Mrs. Phillippe has also been on a hit TV show. According to IMDb, Slagter played the role of Teri on a season 3 episode of Entourage back in 2006. Even at 15 years old, it seems she was destined to cross paths with stardom.
4. She’s an A Student: While obtaining her Bachelor of Arts degree with a double major in political science and history at Loyola Marymount University, Slagter managed to land on the Dean’s List every semester, according to her LinkedIn. To say we’re impressed is an understatement; certainly Phillippe realizes he hit the jackpot when it comes to his real-life leading lady!
5. She’s Bilingual: Is a honeymoon to a Spanish-speaking destination in the works? If so, Slagter will fit right in. She speaks conversational Spanish, adding even more clout to her admirable resume.
As we are wowed by the future Mrs. Phillippe’s beauty and apparent brilliance, we can appreciate the fact that she doesn’t miss an opportunity to let her hair down. The holidays are obviously a special time for Phillippe and Slagter now that they’re engaged, but as a tweet from Slagter from December 2014 shows, the pair shared a love for the season prior to their plans to become Mr. and Mrs:
— paulina slagter (@paulinaslagter) December 22, 2014
Happy wedding planning to the soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. Ryan Phillippe! May you have a beautiful – and very sophisticated – life together.